Friday, April 13, 2007

Windsurfing at Lake Arenal




Windsurfing at Lake Arenal is one of the best in the world. It wasn´t necessarily the best in the world the day I went but it was good for someone like me (who has the coordination of a drunken monkey) who was trying it for the first time.

I placed the first picture at the beginning because this is where I spent 98% of my day. Off the board, in the water, angry, frustrated and wet.

Photo 2 is my grueling Dutch instructor looking down in disappointment as I struggle to get control of the sail, yet again! She was great but relentless and often muttering things in Dutch like ¨You stupid worthless American!¨ or ¨Americans are inferior to Dutch.¨ (This is even more funny if you´ve actually met Jolanda. She is one of the sweetest people you will meet.) (Yeah

Photo 3 is VICTORY. I don´t know what happened. All of sudden, my body just understood how it was supposed to work and I just started sailing. As luck would have it, it is also the approximate time that the wind stopped. I´m ready for the big show now though. I really enjoyed it and would like to try it again. Unlike surfing (regular unleaded), if you know what you are doing, you really never have to get into the water nor have the waves beat you down. Lekker!
I´m ready for the big show now. Gracias por todos, Jolanda!

No comments: